Indivisible works because people are taking action; making phone calls to representatives, canvassing neighborhoods, writing postcards, and more. There are lots of ways for you to help the cause no matter what your skills are. On this page we will keep you up-to-date with local, state and national issues that could use your attention.
Support our local school board trustees
At our October 6 general meeting, IF member Donna McQueen announced that she would be going around with a clipboard to sign up for attendance at either a Ferndale Unified School District (FUSD) or a College of the Redwoods (CR) trustee meeting.
IF member, Donna McQueen spoke briefly regarding the importance of IF members attending local board meetings with a goal in mind of letting our elected board members know we, the public. are paying attention to what is going in our local schools and college. Some of you signed up on the clip board that was passed around at that meeting. We plan to put a virtual sign up sheet on the website. Please contact Donna via email here.
FUSD Trustee meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month in the Ferndale High School Library beginning at 7 pm. The next meeting will be on Wednesday, December 11.
The CR trustee meetings are held on the first Tuesday of each month in the college administration building, Room SS-202, at the Eureka campus. The next meeting will be on Tuesday, December 10 at the Eureka campus. Twice a year, the CR meetings are held at alternate locations. See the full 2020 schedule here.
Voter Registration at CR in January
In case you haven’t heard, California’s Primary Election date has been moved up to March 3 in 2020. We need to Get Out The Vote (GOTV) in 2020 and what better place to begin but at College of the Redwoods. Indivisible Ferndale will be sponsoring a voter registration table in conjunction with Indivisible Fortuna. The schedule will be:
|Day||AM shift (9:00 am to 12:00 pm)||PM shift (12:00 to 3:00 pm)|
|Wednesday, January 22||Two volunteers needed||Two volunteers needed|
|Thursday, January 23||Two volunteers needed||Two volunteers needed|
|Wednesday, January 29||Two volunteers needed||Two volunteers needed|
|Thursday, January 30||Two volunteers needed||Two volunteers needed|
Jackie Cory is heading up this effort. If you can help, please email Jackie here. Jackie will be hosting voter registration training on:
- Date: Thursday, January 9
- Time: 7 to 8 pm
- Location: 724 Vanston Avenue
Christy Smith for Congress
This past week I received the following email message from my Indivisible Simi Valley contact, Heather Stephenson, asking Indivisible Ferndale for help!
“CA 25 needs your help again! Christy Smith (State Assemblywoman who ran sister campaign with Katie Hill) is running for our vacated Congressional Seat. Christy Smith has an excellent track record in the State Assembly in the year she has been in office and will make the transition as seamless as possible in terms of representation.”
You may recall that we wrote hundreds of postcards to voters in Simi Valley during the midterms and helped to elect Rep. Katie Hill. Unfortunately, Katie resigned from office this month amid controversy.
Also this past week, Republican Steve Knight who was the former incumbent in congressional district CA 25, has just announced his plans to reclaim his congressional seat.
Heather will have a postcard script to Democratic voters with names and addresses ready by next week. I am committing Indivisible Ferndale to writing 600 postcards over the next several weeks for this special election.
Already twelve members of the IF postcard writing team have said they are ready to write! We need more writers. Please email me here or call 786-7172 and let me know that you are ready to support Christy for Congress!
To learn more about Christy, go the Christy for Congress website here.
Your 5 weekly to-dos from Indivisible
- Sign up to make some calls connecting voters to senators to demand a complete and fair impeachment trial. We’ve said this already, but we’re halfway to our goal of calling one million constituents of the 13 senators who really need to hear from them (senators who are vulnerable because they’re up for reelection next year and folks who are retiring and worrying a lot about their legacies). We’re asking you to call voters in those states and ask them to turn up the pressure on their elected officials. It’s a simple four-part process:
- You call a progressive voter in a key state with one of these 13 Republicans. These folks are your friends — they attended the Women’s March and/or fight for progressive causes.
- You explain how they have power now. You’ll remind them why the continued fight for impeachment is so important — and why they have particular power in this moment.
- You ask them to use their power. Then, you’ll ask them to call their senator and make their voices heard on why we’re demanding courage in this moment.
- You push a button and connect them to their senator’s office. The call tool will allow you to automatically patch them through to the senator’s DC office.
- Register or find a Trump is Not Above the Law Impeachment Eve event now. The night before the House of Representatives takes an historic vote to impeach Trump, as representatives finalize their positions and senators look on, we’ll head to every congressional office and public square to declare that Nobody Is Above the Law. There are more than 315 events on the map as of now with more being added every day. Take a look to find (or host) one near you.
- Tell the House to lower prescription drug prices by improving H.R. 3. Sky-high prescription drug prices are an urgent crisis for millions of Americans, and it’s time for Congress to protect people from Big Pharma’s greed. H.R. 3, which will likely get a vote in the House in mid-December, is a good start, but it can still be expanded to make sure it benefits as many people as possible. Call your Member of Congress and tell them to improve H.R. 3 using our call script above!
- Register for the National Activist Call on Dec 5 at 8 PM ET. We’re going to cover the latest updates on the impeachment inquiry in the House, share the latest updates on our presidential engagement process, and recap the work we did in 2019!
- Watch (or re-watch) our candidate interviews. Last week and today, Leah and Ezra launched a series of live interviews with the Democratic presidential candidates centered around the Indivisible movement as we continue our work to defeat Trump. If you missed them, head to our YouTube page to catch up! So far, we’ve talked to Senator Booker, Senator Warren, Tom Steyer, Mayor Buttigieg and Secretary Castro, and we have more invitations out.